July 31, 2009

Sit on a bear

My baby brother is leaving for his mission in a little more than a month. Like all my other siblings, he inherited a silly sense of humor from our mom. When we're all together and in a certain mood (usually that mood is "bored"), our combined silliness erupts as volcano of nonsensical giggling and inside jokes. It drives my dad nuts. And probably everyone else in hearing distance.

I remember this one time we were all in the van outside my dad's work. He had to pick something up, and my mom went into the office with him, leaving all five of us kids in the car. As usual, we were playing a silly made-up game. We'd make a random statement, but switch around a couple of words. Like: "Before I go to book, I'm going to read my bed." Then we'd all laugh uproariously for a few minutes, because isn't that the most hilarious thing ever!? I'm going to eat the rest of that kitchen in the chicken. Will you clean my dollar if I pay you a room? I'm going to take my teeth and brush a shower.

So then Jake, who had to be about 6 or 7, wanted to join in. "I'm going to go home, sit on a bear..." There was contemplative pause. He'd painted himself into a pretty tight corner. "... and eat." I'm going to home, sit on a bear, and eat. BEST SENTENCE EVER. We all laughed; the game had reached a new level of awesomeness. Every sentence that followed had to include sitting on a bear, and it's been one of our many inside jokes ever since.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I laughed out loud during that entire post.